I refer, not to the well-loved Charles Dickens book but to the prospects, the eager anticipation that comes with committing to a person in a romantic relationship. I remember how incensing it was whenever John Doe told me he had no expectations of me and I, therefore, should not have any of him. 'Why can't you just go with the flow, Lynn!' he would cry. 'Why must you complicate things?!'...and consequently, I would walk away from such conversations feeling like the wicked witch of the west- the one who always screws things up. Contractual terms can be considered expectations, right? Par example; I hand over x million shillings, you hand over your car's keys... You pay y amount of shillings as rent, I let you live in my house, You pay me US $ z , I write a proposal for your organization...et cetera, et cetera... So, how, then, is it that when it comes to romantic relationships, people want to avoid the conversation about expectations like the pla...
Comments
Post a Comment