Skip to main content

latecomer;my letter.by Turyatemba Jeremiah Kariho on Friday, June 1, 2012 at 3:58pm ·

My not-so-baby brother posted the piece below on his facebook page and I only read it today!!!...I am persuaded it deserves to be read by my peeps on here :)

well... most of the time we're given the consolation of "all things in there time"...."all in good time" and the whole related bs. ; i think these would never be able to console me for failing to have more than one vivid memory of my daddy...daddy. a word i would never pull out in a million words...a person that i would never dream of losing yet...well...i lost him...a figure i would live to grow up without...that iron hand in your rebellious times and the generously giver in times worth reward.lol. that's my idea of a daddy. i don't know. i can't begin to imagine...
how i have been able to deal with that...is one of the exempli gratia life gives of a gracious God...who in the moment is,as it were, some supernatural being with too much control; with the power to give and to take...A power he uses to the best of his authority...i might think he misused it the day i lost that figure that i bet I'd have loved to be in my life,my father... but then...maybe on that day he was saving two billion people from something catastrophic...so he didnt give much thought to what I'd lose........

...well. enough of my abstract talk. i woke up today not to music or to movies or to a loving home but in my good friends apartment to the realisation of what is close to a decade of no father figure in my life...i just thought of daddy and mum sealed the reminder with a text filled with love...it was about daddy.
well if i wrote a letter to him...it would go something like this...

"Hey...umm..i don't really know how guys my age address their dads so I'll just say hi.i don't really blame luck or anything for not having you around but i bet you were cool...my siblings give me stories of when i was too little to remember...when you were around and life was good..well i got to see the eclipse of that for that little time i knew you but i believed them.lol. i...grabbed life by its big horns at a real early age..way before i needed to but someone told me to be strong...so i said i will...i have been ever since...life has moulded me into some guy who many say "is 13 going on 30"!!!can you imagine.looooooooool....i don't know how you would take such a joke or react to it but i sure hope you'd be proud...
I've got a great girl in my life...n i might be a young dude but...she just might be the one..she proves it to me daily...She's called Sheila.i have been with her close to a year now so....with the trend of things we'll be together for a while(wud have loved your opinion of her considering she's a daughter to one of your friends of old)...i have two jobs at upcoming organisations so that keeps your 20year old son as busy as....i just applied to the university to do IT but don't worry...there are contingencies set for when that doesn't go well..;-)i am sharp btw ...loool ..i have engaged in businesses here and there and i work daily to be a better person...i would love to get fatherly advice..or blowing if necessary..but i probably won't ever know what that feels like...but it's okay i am grown up...i feel..you'd probably laugh at me at this point... but its kinda weird how for someone i honestly didnt know so well,...i love you so much...anyway.

its like a whole day after your departure-in-memorium but well...i was such a latecomer...from birth till this remembering of you.lol.
WHY DID I COME SO LATE???!!...
the university bloody question actually bothers me but well....'all in good time'...purpose..is the word that comes to mind...let's see what happens...
great writing to you...could yo like reply in like a dream or something???!,thanks.

Your son,
Kariho Jeremiah Turyatemba .

Ps:beats me how you were actually called Benjamin Boyy...lol."

Comments

  1. I remember that horrible day well.... Lynn you were so strong! And Jerry so young! Your dad was an awesome man and you, as his awesome kids, are a testimony to his legacy. I'd love to see Jerry all grown up now. From what I have just read, he must be a pretty darn awesome guy, just like his father was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nasa Lee :)...Jerry's pretty awesome...so boy and yet so man...he is fascinating

      Delete
  2. what i remember most about your dad was that i feared him mob...i remember the many months in hospital and how i watched you go from an innocent sheltered girl to a woman faster than you can say WTFrench Fries....ah i need to keep sprinting because if Jerry is an example of the sharpness of the generation to come i am doing bubi...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mother to Son...beautiful piece

A LETTER TO MY TWO YEAR OLD September 2, 2011 at 9:12 am by Pumla Nabachwa Every year, during the week of my children’s birthdays, i shall write them a letter and keep them in separate boxes and present them with these boxes the day they graduate. (& graduate they will) Today, I write a 2nd letter to my first born son…..now Trey Gateja……My pride…….My joy! My sunshine, It’s been 730 days & we’re both still alive………let alone sane. I’m not sure how I haven’t strangled you to death yet or left you out at night hoping that a hawk will grab you & take you far away from me. I’m quite perplexed that am not in a mental hospital, let alone 6 feet under. The doctors promised me that the pain stops immediately after the baby is delivered but nooooooooo…….we’re here today & I’m still pulling my hair out. Somebody once said; “it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had a baby”…… that somebody doesn’t know that once you’re a mother, ‘normal’ is his

The Third Day- September...The Big 3-0!!!

So, today, I begin a new decade of my life. I am thirty (30) years old! W.O.W! These past couple of days, I have been meditating on Womanhood. Walking with God and Worthiness. I want to be part of something great this next decade. I desire a fresh start in many areas of my life. I regrettably spent the greater part of my twenties trying to be a man; to be tough, rough and seemingly brave. I numbed feelings, suppressed emotions and smiled little in bid to avoid fighting like a girl because girls are weak, they are shallow and they gossip. My best friends were boys until my femininity came to the fore as a  natural course of life and giving boys 'uncensored' hugs started 'causing problems'. All my ambition, my pushing and shoving to get ahead could not erase my innermost (very feminine) desires to be loved, to be treated kindly, to be listened to, sought after, and protected. I was with the boys but not of the boys. Revelation No. 1: I am a Woman and that's ok

Dad

Dear Dad, Today, nine years ago, you changed your major  area code leaving many people pretty upset including uncle Kizza Besigye who I know would have appreciated your level of loyalty  considering memories of my S.4 vacation driving around Kampala with you as you manually tallied the Reform Agenda's votes at different polling stations:) Just so you know, Uncle K.B. is hassling; what with pepper spray, kicks, blows, gun butt beatings, being shoved under the car seats of police men (who we are all quite convinced are paramilitary- but that's a story for another day), insults, threats to his life...etc...you would have frothed at the mouth seeing how bad things have become for political opponents of the 'Great 1986 Revolutionary'.  Am sorry for putting such a lousy pic of you on the www but you hated pics so it's kinda your fault :) I cut my hair and decided I would like to keep it that way for the rest of my life...in fact, I am contemplating going complete