Skip to main content

Great Expectations...

I refer, not to the well-loved Charles Dickens book but to the prospects, the eager anticipation that comes with committing to a person in a romantic relationship.

I remember how incensing it was whenever John Doe told me he had no expectations of me and I, therefore, should not have any of him.
'Why can't you just go with the flow, Lynn!' he would cry. 'Why must you complicate things?!'...and consequently, I would walk away from such conversations feeling like the wicked witch of the west- the one who always screws things up.

Contractual terms can be considered expectations, right?
Par example;
I hand over x million shillings, you hand over your car's keys...
You pay y amount of shillings as rent, I let you live in my house,
You pay me US $ z, I write a proposal for your organization...et cetera, et cetera...

So, how, then, is it that when it comes to romantic relationships, people want to avoid the conversation about expectations like the plague?!

I have come a long way where this issue of expectations is concerned. I am no longer apologetic for having expectations and I am learning the difference between good intentioned compromise and selling myself short.

So, my expectations of Mr. Man can be summed up in the (in)famous three Ps (a la Steve Harvey).


Not very funny in real life, is it? :(
 I expect the man in my life to protect me. This does not necessarily mean he must beat up any guy who comes within 10m of me- although beating up bag snatching goons would be most welcome :). I expect him to defend my name when he hears untruth/ slander doing the rounds about me. He should be keen to warn me of possible danger in a place I wish to go or a decision I intend to make. Mr. Man, should protect my sanity...if cleaning up after himself or cooking sometimes or watching the kids or shopping for groceries is what is necessary to keep me sane at any one time, then, he ought to do it.

I expect the man in my life to provide for me. Forget the arguments about economic structures and women emancipation- 'oh, the women these days make more money than us!'- 'oh, we thought you want to be independent!'...You remember the post Eden command to the man? yeah, something about tilling the land to get food for yourself and wife and brood?...well...

I expect the man in my life to profess his love for me- to by words and actions, single me out as the one he has chosen among all women.

I imagine Mr. Man will expect me to; care for him (whether that means make sure he has food, his clothes are wearable, the house is clean), nurture our children, respect him/his leadership, make an effort to remain attractive, et cetera, et cetera-but, I am not a man, so, I am only making assumptions :)...

By and large, the thing is, keeping the communication lines open cannot be over emphasized because, right from the beginning, expectations need to be clearly spelt out and also, as time goes by, they do evolve/ change and these changes need to be made known.

What I cannot accept/ believe is that two people can commit to a relationship and have no expectations whatsoever of each other! That's a complete fallacy.

So, what are your general expectations of your significant other? Do they know?

Comments

  1. Looking back, one could think we were entering a business partnership and not a relationship leading to marriage. We both had a list of non-negotiables that each person had to bring to table, and other stuff that was desirable but not a deal-breaker. Our non-negotiables included dual careers, spiritual values and co-parenting. Desirable was kids (from zero to two max), we settled for one :) beyond this, I had my chic-check list: physical appearance, I cant even start listing the many things lest you think me vainer than vain, but hey, I wasnt about to mess-up what my mama gave me ;). I wanted to maintain my freedom(or semblances of it), I always travel light i.e without man and child in tow, I have a right to miscellaneous expenditures (albeit to a certain amount). These expectations, plans, goals, dreams etc are talked about regularly. We are lagging behind on our grand life plan, but still moving along in the same direction. Does having all these nitty gritty details taken care of make a relationship let alone marriage any easier, no by all means. But, I got what I wanted and needed and work to keep it that way!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous- altho I wish I had, even, a pseudonym by which to address you :)...anyway, I agree, there is no magic wand when it comes to relationships...a couple could make plans, be clear about expectations and what not and still not remain married or be happy in the marriage. Yet, I firmly believe it is always better to err on the side of more communication/ clarity than less...

      Delete
  2. I can not say the ayes loud enough.
    I just made a 'things to talk about list'. Very very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my experience two things are key. That our expectations are based on the important things and not the frivolous;number of phone calls per day, does he send flowers etc which vary depending on the man. Second, that we do not present our expectations as demands "Do this and this or else!" Yes discuss some important ones upfront but let some sort of unfold. Your expectations of each other evolve and grow along with your relationship. You can't expect from a boyfriend of one month what you would expect from a husband of 5 years. My boyfriend used to HATE it when i listed my expectations and to make it worse i usually did this when he WASN'T meeting them. His reaction was to "rebel" just to show me he didn't have to "do as he was told". I eased off him and its been beautiful to see him figure out some of my needs on his own, and WANT to meet and even exceed my expectations. He made me realize, he too is just figuring this whole thing out, understanding how having me in his life changes things and what is expected of him as his role grows more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eunice, this comment is SO grown up! :)...it is true, expectations ought to be realistic lest they become redundant...and am glad your Mr. Man is growing into the role...I hope he gets rewarded for this :) (wink, wink!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mother to Son...beautiful piece

A LETTER TO MY TWO YEAR OLD September 2, 2011 at 9:12 am by Pumla Nabachwa Every year, during the week of my children’s birthdays, i shall write them a letter and keep them in separate boxes and present them with these boxes the day they graduate. (& graduate they will) Today, I write a 2nd letter to my first born son…..now Trey Gateja……My pride…….My joy! My sunshine, It’s been 730 days & we’re both still alive………let alone sane. I’m not sure how I haven’t strangled you to death yet or left you out at night hoping that a hawk will grab you & take you far away from me. I’m quite perplexed that am not in a mental hospital, let alone 6 feet under. The doctors promised me that the pain stops immediately after the baby is delivered but nooooooooo…….we’re here today & I’m still pulling my hair out. Somebody once said; “it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had a baby”…… that somebody doesn’t know that once you’re a mother, ‘normal’ is his

The Third Day- September...The Big 3-0!!!

So, today, I begin a new decade of my life. I am thirty (30) years old! W.O.W! These past couple of days, I have been meditating on Womanhood. Walking with God and Worthiness. I want to be part of something great this next decade. I desire a fresh start in many areas of my life. I regrettably spent the greater part of my twenties trying to be a man; to be tough, rough and seemingly brave. I numbed feelings, suppressed emotions and smiled little in bid to avoid fighting like a girl because girls are weak, they are shallow and they gossip. My best friends were boys until my femininity came to the fore as a  natural course of life and giving boys 'uncensored' hugs started 'causing problems'. All my ambition, my pushing and shoving to get ahead could not erase my innermost (very feminine) desires to be loved, to be treated kindly, to be listened to, sought after, and protected. I was with the boys but not of the boys. Revelation No. 1: I am a Woman and that's ok

Dad

Dear Dad, Today, nine years ago, you changed your major  area code leaving many people pretty upset including uncle Kizza Besigye who I know would have appreciated your level of loyalty  considering memories of my S.4 vacation driving around Kampala with you as you manually tallied the Reform Agenda's votes at different polling stations:) Just so you know, Uncle K.B. is hassling; what with pepper spray, kicks, blows, gun butt beatings, being shoved under the car seats of police men (who we are all quite convinced are paramilitary- but that's a story for another day), insults, threats to his life...etc...you would have frothed at the mouth seeing how bad things have become for political opponents of the 'Great 1986 Revolutionary'.  Am sorry for putting such a lousy pic of you on the www but you hated pics so it's kinda your fault :) I cut my hair and decided I would like to keep it that way for the rest of my life...in fact, I am contemplating going complete