Skip to main content

What do women really want (from their male partner)??

Guys, you're in luck- I am taking it upon myself to unleash female trade secrets at no fee, lawyer, though I may be. Consider this pro bono.

Gals, hopefully, you'll now have a piece of writing to refer your men to (coz I intend to be candid and thorough).

A friend, who only recently, discovered this blog said he thinks I am 'too open for life' on here. Well, that's vintage Lynn- open and honest- all out. After giving my introvertedness centre stage for many years with unfavourable results, I find that it is better to say too much than never to what you need to- or in this case, write.

Okay, so, about the what do women want question. I will write what I want and what I have heard girlfriends say they want. None of that, look deeply into her eyes whenever you talk- jibber jabber, I promise. This is practical, realistic stuff which a man committed to making some woman out there truly happy will find useful.
  1. Love her. Remember that love is a verb (a doing word). So, don't just say it. Take note of things she likes/ that are important to her and act on them...for example, if she wants to lose weight, even though you are alright with what she looks like, support her to achieve her weight loss-pay for her gym or buy her walking shoes, or jog with her...because it is important to her.
  2. Make her life better. Not by buying her things (although that doesn’t hurt) :-)- but by making her laugh, making her dinner, cleaning her kitchen, rubbing her back, hugging and kissing her, ironing her clothes for the week (in light of UMEME loadshedding) :-). Add something to her life. Don’t just leave a dent in her couch!
  3. Companionship. Be her closest friend. Women are 'bonders', talkers, sharers. We want to be able to tell you about our work day, our bitching friends, our pushy parents, our struggling business...generally, everything that concerns us. We need you to be our soundboard. 
  4. Empathy. Listen to her, understand her, feel her happiness and feel her pain. If this doesn’t come naturally to you – you’re not alone. Men are less emotional than women by nature. But try. Ask her follow up questions. If you don’t know what to say – hold her (her hand or in a bear, protective hug).
  5. Trust her. There's a difference between chivalry and annoying overpossesiveness/ jealousy.
  6. Dependability. Be there when you say you will – don’t cancel and or forget! This only communicates to her that she not a priority to you.
  7. Forgive her when she flies off the handle. Don’t take it personally. Women, once again, are emotional creatures. We have a tendency to get more upset than a man would about the same issue. Relax. Breath. Don’t make it worse. Accept the fact that we are scared sometimes, and when we are scared, we take it out on you.
  8. Entertain her. Turn off the TV – play a board game, take her out for a fancy date at least once a month, take her to a movie you wouldn't necessarily like but you know she would .
  9. Be nice to her friends. Do your best to respect and befriend her friends (and I mean those you discover are her real gals not the gossipy office bunch). They have known her longer than you have and can very easily make or break what you two share.
  10. Make a big deal out of all holidays, birthdays and anniversaries…not necessarily with presents but these are the days of the year that you must, must say something sweet.
  11. Flowers. They are like a perfectly phrased and timed text message. Yes, some women will seem and even say how unimpressed they are by flowers but trust me, sending them flowers communicates your recognition of their femininity and will only get you good results.
    His having a body like Taye Diggs sure wouldn't hurt :-)
  12. Last but certainly not least, satisfy her in bed…consistently. Desist from the 'bad manners' I hear about of guys out there “finishing” and then rolling over and passing out!
In all, every person is unique. My thoughts as jotted above are meant to point one in the right direction and neither put pressure on guys nor be considered gospel truth. My biblical hero Paul had this to say on the matter of working hard at things (this, I believe includes relationships)..."Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize..." 1Corinthians 9:25-27Let's just say I am giving you, my guy friends, a headstart in this race :-) Godspeed!

    Comments

    1. You kicked me in the back of my knees with that picture of Taye Diggs at the end. Beautiful piece, now if He would show up already, armed to the teeth with the said information and an eagerness to get started

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oooh this is a good piece Lynn, thanx for tipping us..am only wondering whether d guy dat meks up to the above mentioned list automatically takes up d shape of Taye Diggs' picture even when they r naturally of mosquito weight..lol!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Gordon, Taye was just an addition to spice up the discussion. We can like thin guys too :-)

        Delete
    3. Lol!

      Spot on! Lovely read :-)

      ReplyDelete
    4. aaaaaaahhh....a hundred ways to reply but never the time....

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    Mother to Son...beautiful piece

    A LETTER TO MY TWO YEAR OLD September 2, 2011 at 9:12 am by Pumla Nabachwa Every year, during the week of my children’s birthdays, i shall write them a letter and keep them in separate boxes and present them with these boxes the day they graduate. (& graduate they will) Today, I write a 2nd letter to my first born son…..now Trey Gateja……My pride…….My joy! My sunshine, It’s been 730 days & we’re both still alive………let alone sane. I’m not sure how I haven’t strangled you to death yet or left you out at night hoping that a hawk will grab you & take you far away from me. I’m quite perplexed that am not in a mental hospital, let alone 6 feet under. The doctors promised me that the pain stops immediately after the baby is delivered but nooooooooo…….we’re here today & I’m still pulling my hair out. Somebody once said; “it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had a baby”…… that somebody doesn’t know that once you’re a mother, ‘normal’ is his

    The Third Day- September...The Big 3-0!!!

    So, today, I begin a new decade of my life. I am thirty (30) years old! W.O.W! These past couple of days, I have been meditating on Womanhood. Walking with God and Worthiness. I want to be part of something great this next decade. I desire a fresh start in many areas of my life. I regrettably spent the greater part of my twenties trying to be a man; to be tough, rough and seemingly brave. I numbed feelings, suppressed emotions and smiled little in bid to avoid fighting like a girl because girls are weak, they are shallow and they gossip. My best friends were boys until my femininity came to the fore as a  natural course of life and giving boys 'uncensored' hugs started 'causing problems'. All my ambition, my pushing and shoving to get ahead could not erase my innermost (very feminine) desires to be loved, to be treated kindly, to be listened to, sought after, and protected. I was with the boys but not of the boys. Revelation No. 1: I am a Woman and that's ok

    Dad

    Dear Dad, Today, nine years ago, you changed your major  area code leaving many people pretty upset including uncle Kizza Besigye who I know would have appreciated your level of loyalty  considering memories of my S.4 vacation driving around Kampala with you as you manually tallied the Reform Agenda's votes at different polling stations:) Just so you know, Uncle K.B. is hassling; what with pepper spray, kicks, blows, gun butt beatings, being shoved under the car seats of police men (who we are all quite convinced are paramilitary- but that's a story for another day), insults, threats to his life...etc...you would have frothed at the mouth seeing how bad things have become for political opponents of the 'Great 1986 Revolutionary'.  Am sorry for putting such a lousy pic of you on the www but you hated pics so it's kinda your fault :) I cut my hair and decided I would like to keep it that way for the rest of my life...in fact, I am contemplating going complete