Skip to main content

Of Words and Paying Bills

Actions speak louder than words.

I have been thinking about a friend who recently made a decision to leave a man- a man generally considered to be a 'good man'- because his actions were somehow bizarrely not aligned with his words. I love you! I would do anything for you! You are the only woman for me!...and so on and so forth...yet, he, also, felt that calling her once day to check on how she was doing was too much to ask, he was too busy with work and life, after all!- how could she not understand that??...

Anyhow, I have had my fair share of experiences with men such as this one- men who have been convinced that all we women want is to be 'told things'-that, that is the best way to placate us. Well, here's the thing, over the years, I have come to learn that men are innately choleric- a temperament whose principle feature is working at things/ getting things done. Thus, what a man does is way more important than what he says. In fact, the man considered most noble by all and sundry is the man who does exactly as he says- a man of his word.

There is this particular man I dated once who was the sweetest talker you could ever meet. Yes, no doubt, his sweet talking appealed to some part of me; otherwise the relationship would never have lasted more than a week, but it was not sustainable. When my good sense eventually kicked in, thank Heavens, there were no two ways about it, the relationship had to end.

When it comes right down to it, the man who treats you poorly but says nice things is simply not a good man. Words may mean alot but they must be propped by solid action otherwise they come up empty leaving in their wake, hurt people and bad reputations.

Who should pay the bill on a date?

This is an issue that has long solicited heated debate. No less considering the day in which we live-the day of the emancipated, financially independent woman. So, I must acknowledge, there is a part of my brain, perhaps in keeping with my upbringing, that believes that the man must always pay the bill on a date. However, the more 21st century part of me asserts that it depends on the circumstances.

Here's what I mean. If it is date number one, most likely, the man is the one who asked for it to happen, so, he, really ought to pick the tab. Now, after the first date, a couple of scenarios may exist. She may learn that he earns less than she does and decide to herself that it is okay to pick the tab a couple of times, especially if she is the one who has suggested the rendezvous, or, she may learn that he is a man with means and decide that he will pick up the check forever or she may very well be a 'Dutch mutant' :-) and no matter the man's financial standing, prefer to always split the bill.

I, for one, have come to realize that money does matters. How it is handled affects a relationship fundamentally and there's no better phrase I have heard regarding this issue than, love, alone, will not put food on the table... I am, therefore, not going to accept a man's 'ever-after' proposal if he is broke and clearly has no prospect of getting out of this state, whether as a result of his laziness or what seems like his plain bad luck. Nevertheless, quite the other side of the coin-ish, I believe that the 'power' in any relationship must always be kept balanced. Thus, I think that if a man and woman commit to be together, and they both make a living, then, they should be both interested in making the relationship work and this includes being willing to share the 'financial burden' that comes with relating/ courting. There is nothing for nothing this side of heaven, so you don't want to find yourself being obliged to do a, b or c (which you may not be game for) just because your partner picks all the bills, all the time. Of course, once the same man and woman take it to the level of marriage, it's a whole other ball game and I have my thoughts on this...but that is a discussion for another day.

I discover that couples who are relating do not talk about money matters. It's like a frigging taboo! It is pre- AIDS teenage sex education all over again. And it baffles me. I mean, why? Two consenting adults- hoping to get married?!- really? It is true, I haven't always been forward with guys about money choosing instead to just 'beef' with the 'financially unworthy' boyfriend- but, I know now, that this kind of behaviour is counter-productive so am all for communication/ openess.

Is the money discussion with your partner taboo for you? It shouldn't be. You need to commit to working towards it not being. After all, money makes the world go round, right?

Comments

  1. thats was really a nice one kyana....esp when it comes to couples talking about finances; ts always "a no- discuss" topic to many!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When it comes right down to it, the man who treats you poorly but says nice things is simply not a good man. Words may mean alot but they must be propped by solid action otherwise they come up empty leaving in their wake, hurt people and bad reputations."

    You're sooo right Kyana!! Soooooooo right!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mother to Son...beautiful piece

A LETTER TO MY TWO YEAR OLD September 2, 2011 at 9:12 am by Pumla Nabachwa Every year, during the week of my children’s birthdays, i shall write them a letter and keep them in separate boxes and present them with these boxes the day they graduate. (& graduate they will) Today, I write a 2nd letter to my first born son…..now Trey Gateja……My pride…….My joy! My sunshine, It’s been 730 days & we’re both still alive………let alone sane. I’m not sure how I haven’t strangled you to death yet or left you out at night hoping that a hawk will grab you & take you far away from me. I’m quite perplexed that am not in a mental hospital, let alone 6 feet under. The doctors promised me that the pain stops immediately after the baby is delivered but nooooooooo…….we’re here today & I’m still pulling my hair out. Somebody once said; “it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had a baby”…… that somebody doesn’t know that once you’re a mother, ‘normal’ is his

The Third Day- September...The Big 3-0!!!

So, today, I begin a new decade of my life. I am thirty (30) years old! W.O.W! These past couple of days, I have been meditating on Womanhood. Walking with God and Worthiness. I want to be part of something great this next decade. I desire a fresh start in many areas of my life. I regrettably spent the greater part of my twenties trying to be a man; to be tough, rough and seemingly brave. I numbed feelings, suppressed emotions and smiled little in bid to avoid fighting like a girl because girls are weak, they are shallow and they gossip. My best friends were boys until my femininity came to the fore as a  natural course of life and giving boys 'uncensored' hugs started 'causing problems'. All my ambition, my pushing and shoving to get ahead could not erase my innermost (very feminine) desires to be loved, to be treated kindly, to be listened to, sought after, and protected. I was with the boys but not of the boys. Revelation No. 1: I am a Woman and that's ok

Dad

Dear Dad, Today, nine years ago, you changed your major  area code leaving many people pretty upset including uncle Kizza Besigye who I know would have appreciated your level of loyalty  considering memories of my S.4 vacation driving around Kampala with you as you manually tallied the Reform Agenda's votes at different polling stations:) Just so you know, Uncle K.B. is hassling; what with pepper spray, kicks, blows, gun butt beatings, being shoved under the car seats of police men (who we are all quite convinced are paramilitary- but that's a story for another day), insults, threats to his life...etc...you would have frothed at the mouth seeing how bad things have become for political opponents of the 'Great 1986 Revolutionary'.  Am sorry for putting such a lousy pic of you on the www but you hated pics so it's kinda your fault :) I cut my hair and decided I would like to keep it that way for the rest of my life...in fact, I am contemplating going complete