Skip to main content

Dad

Dear Dad,

Today, nine years ago, you changed your major area code leaving many people pretty upset including uncle Kizza Besigye who I know would have appreciated your level of loyalty  considering memories of my S.4 vacation driving around Kampala with you as you manually tallied the Reform Agenda's votes at different polling stations:) Just so you know, Uncle K.B. is hassling; what with pepper spray, kicks, blows, gun butt beatings, being shoved under the car seats of police men (who we are all quite convinced are paramilitary- but that's a story for another day), insults, threats to his life...etc...you would have frothed at the mouth seeing how bad things have become for political opponents of the 'Great 1986 Revolutionary'.

Am sorry for putting such a lousy pic of you on the www but you hated pics so it's kinda your fault :)

I cut my hair and decided I would like to keep it that way for the rest of my life...in fact, I am contemplating going completely bald. I know you would have hated it considering your expressed belief that long hair is a woman's crown of glory.

I wear short dresses/ skirts more. I remember you teasing me that if I kept insisting on wearing those catholic inspired long skirts, my legs would become as hairy as an ape's and which man would like that! I will have you know that my legs are hairy -thankfully not as badly as they could have been, thanks to your sage advice :), and I have decided never to shave them lest I have to make that another ritual to be worried about.

I did Law as you had hoped and even endured LDC despite my misgivings/ fears and thanks to the ardent encouragement of a man who I came to think of as a dad-you would have liked him I assure you- he is straight up and down-to-earth :). I ended up leaning towards social justice, a thing I think you would have applauded. Quite frankly, it does not give me the opportunity to rake in the cash - and some days this is frustrating but it allows me to sleep peacefully at night and for now, that is enough.

I have had such lousy luck with men so far :( and sometimes I wonder what your advice to me, in this regard would have been. I remember you saying pointedly once that would cry at my wedding because you would be sad to be 'losing' your great gal. I didn't think much of that remark then and in fact I may have been slightly irritated by its mushiness, but lately, I wonder if I will ever meet a man who thinks of me as highly as you did.

Rodney stuck with Rugby. I am not sure how you would feel about this because as I remember it, you had mixed feelings about the game- cheering him on one day and threatening to have him struck off the school team the next. He was with you that night nine years ago and I tell you, he was brave and resourceful- I don't know if I would have managed to deal with the situation at hand as he did. Also, he changed from that night on- and I must admit some of those changes rubbed me the wrong way for a long time and that took a toll on our relationship, but, I am glad to inform you that we are coming around and I like it :)

Laura went off to the USA for her undergrad (and now Masters) degree. She has turned out really well :). There are number of things about her that remind me of you-most profoundly her mathematics genius, her 'funny' complexion and her passion- when she loves, she does so with a passion, when she dislikes, she does so with a passion too- in the latter case, the Chinese way of doing business exempli gratia :)...She was my soundboard during that time immediately after you moved. She was my friend and my mirror- having me face myself, the worthy and the not so worthy...

Liza turned out interestingly :). You remember how we all used to think of her and treat her like the delicate, vulnerable baby girl? Well, you should see her now. She works with some of the toughest employers to deal with- Chinese- which is ironic considering how Laura feels about them, right :) She loves a man called Paul who I am persuaded you would have liked very much :) She is the most tough talking about life  and pragmatic of your three daughters (believe it or not!) and yet she maintains her bigness of heart and compassion.

Jeremiah is the one I can bet you would not recognize if you did a Rip Van Winkle on us :). He is SO big and mature and handsome and funny and responsible and so not last born like. You would be proud of him. Shortly after you moved and mom was admitted in hospital, he was taken on by uncle Denis and aunt Percy. He dealt with things he shouldn't have at his tender age but he was strong and he was the sunshine in my life and mom's- always cracking jokes and encouraging me to smile despite all that was going on.

And then, there's Mom...sigh...
She was the love of your life. You were the love of her life. To the best of my knowledge, no man has been able to fill your shoes. It can be argued that she has been busy all this time fending for her brood so she has not had time to 'look around' but I doubt this would be reason enough. She is aging beautifully. People are always exclaiming how impossible it is that she is our mother. She still brings you up in conversations- nostalgic but not sad. All those years ago, she adopted and encouraged too, to adopt an attitude of celebration and honour of your life. She refuses to refer to you as 'the late' and admonishes anyone who does. You are and always will be Ben (or daddy) to her.

I think of you often. I wonder, in some situations, 'what would dad do'? I am reminded of the values you upheld while you were with us from time to time. I remember your smile. I can, occasionally, still vividly hear the sound of your bellowing laughter from the last joke I can remember you sharing about the mukiga man who ate the in flight wet towel on his first plane trip :)...that day, you laughed until you had tears rolling down your face :). I still have dreams about you and wake up on such mornings after feeling wistful.

I hope you are happy- considering we, on earth, really have no certainty about what happens when one changes their major area code :)...I hope you can see us, your family, that you watch us...but just in case you don't, I figured sending you a letter on the world wide web would do :). I love you dad.

Sincerely,

Kyampaire.

Comments

  1. Cheers to Uncle Ben :) bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is completely gripping and sobering in the same breath. I love your writing. I will rest my blog shoes for a while and reside here. even if for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome here Collin :) I have missed you!

      Delete
  3. just cried through this..all i remember is i first met ur parents in form 1..when we were suspended..and my mum said ur parents were great together...

    just prayed that that guy will come...who will understand u best the way that God will desire u to be understood...

    love u sis...miss u

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nine years it is yet I feel like it was just yesterday. Alot of water has flowed under the bridge,good and bad, yet here we are another year,celebrating your life. I could say so much but I guess it just doesn't cut it. I have had quite a transformation these nine years,sometimes I don't even recognise my own self. But then again, there is a lot of you in me and in some unique way it helps me get back my wits and other times even stay grounded. Thank you for the experiences you shared with me, your son,all the lessons I learn't and I pray everyday that with each passing day I grow to be more like you. I love you dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. expel them, Idi Amin-style until they style up! lol... if i ever stand for president, peeps have permission to bring this up because i WILL do it.
    sigh. this just did that ka thing where someone comes and whacks you behind the knees when you're standing, though...how has it been 9 years?? when i was in Nyabiteete for Easter, i stood at your 'last bed' and in two seconds it was like we were back at square one. like you'd lain down just the week before! it will never get easy... you can get smug about that when you're done being sorry; you left a bunch of adoring progeny who were sad to see you go.
    [anyway, daddy, i wonder if you can't help with something? i think liza has had some trouble enjoying her bday more than once since you left... could you make up for it somehow?? send, around this time every year, a rainbow.. or a really expensive pair of high heels or sth? we would all like that. thanks ;)]
    that said, i still have a 'moment' every time the whole family is together... you come alive the strongest then. in our laughs, and body language, and touchiness, and a million other little things. don't ever doubt, in case we think it more than we say it, how much you are loved and missed, and cherished.. as much in your absence as you were in your time with us. it morphs and evolves and shape-shifts, but it will always be there... that lump of emotion 'Reserved For Daddy'.
    We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and she just had me in tears and laughter! Lynn, I hope he reads it too. Better yet, you could ask God to read it to him. lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a real treat knowing you Omw. Turyatemba. As evident from this blog, you're genius lives on...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mother to Son...beautiful piece

A LETTER TO MY TWO YEAR OLD September 2, 2011 at 9:12 am by Pumla Nabachwa Every year, during the week of my children’s birthdays, i shall write them a letter and keep them in separate boxes and present them with these boxes the day they graduate. (& graduate they will) Today, I write a 2nd letter to my first born son…..now Trey Gateja……My pride…….My joy! My sunshine, It’s been 730 days & we’re both still alive………let alone sane. I’m not sure how I haven’t strangled you to death yet or left you out at night hoping that a hawk will grab you & take you far away from me. I’m quite perplexed that am not in a mental hospital, let alone 6 feet under. The doctors promised me that the pain stops immediately after the baby is delivered but nooooooooo…….we’re here today & I’m still pulling my hair out. Somebody once said; “it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had a baby”…… that somebody doesn’t know that once you’re a mother, ‘normal’ is his

The Third Day- September...The Big 3-0!!!

So, today, I begin a new decade of my life. I am thirty (30) years old! W.O.W! These past couple of days, I have been meditating on Womanhood. Walking with God and Worthiness. I want to be part of something great this next decade. I desire a fresh start in many areas of my life. I regrettably spent the greater part of my twenties trying to be a man; to be tough, rough and seemingly brave. I numbed feelings, suppressed emotions and smiled little in bid to avoid fighting like a girl because girls are weak, they are shallow and they gossip. My best friends were boys until my femininity came to the fore as a  natural course of life and giving boys 'uncensored' hugs started 'causing problems'. All my ambition, my pushing and shoving to get ahead could not erase my innermost (very feminine) desires to be loved, to be treated kindly, to be listened to, sought after, and protected. I was with the boys but not of the boys. Revelation No. 1: I am a Woman and that's ok