Skip to main content

Dreams of More

I have been silent. Not just here but in other areas of my life too. I have found, there is wisdom in that proverb, 'silence is golden'. There is much you can learn if you listen more than you speak/ write.

Work has been helter skelter. Deadline upon deadline. Proposal after proposal- until on some days I have been just about ready to quit. But, bread and its companion butter have to be put on the table, so I soldier on.

I have always been passionate about the condition of the African and grieved that we seem to be stuck in a vicious cycle whose end is not in sight. I have had dreams of more for the African.

I have read books, listened to sermons and TED talks on the matter till am gorged. Then, I listened to Mr. Andrew Wutawunashe, a bonafide prophet of God and all I can say is you need to read his book on the matter.

Africanness has for ages been under attack and really, it is about time we woke up to the necessity of standing up and being counted because we have a role to play, a unique contribution to make.

Today, a man that has been called the only secular saint that ever lived, an African icon, Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, will be laid to rest. He succumbed to a long time problematic lung infection on 5th December 2013. I have found myself in the last couple of days, reflecting on how important living an exemplary life is. How tough it, actually, is to walk the talk. See, the Bible says, "many a man proclaims his own steadfast love, but a faithful man who can find?" (Proverbs 20:6). Indeed, faithful men are few and far between; as a consequence, it's no wonder that a man like Mandela is literally revered.

He said this;

'I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.'
- Nelson Mandela's court statement before he goes to prison on  April 20, 1964

...And he meant it. He gave his life and health up for this ideal and I think he made an important point about black domination being as abhorrent as white domination.
In fact, there are people who criticized the 'deal' he supposedly made with the white people in order to secure a free South Africa because they thought he could have got 'more' or even enabled the 'punishment' of the white people for all the suffering they had inflicted on the black South Africans; but if you ask me, none of the critics endured 27 years in a jail with jailers determined to cause your death whichever way how.

I have mourned him, these last few days, as if I had a personal relationship with him. Today, I will begin to celebrate his life and hope that on the day of glory, he will be standing in line for a heart of forgiveness like his could not have been born of evil but of God.

Rest in peace Madiba. Until we meet, on the other side :-)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mother to Son...beautiful piece

A LETTER TO MY TWO YEAR OLD September 2, 2011 at 9:12 am by Pumla Nabachwa Every year, during the week of my children’s birthdays, i shall write them a letter and keep them in separate boxes and present them with these boxes the day they graduate. (& graduate they will) Today, I write a 2nd letter to my first born son…..now Trey Gateja……My pride…….My joy! My sunshine, It’s been 730 days & we’re both still alive………let alone sane. I’m not sure how I haven’t strangled you to death yet or left you out at night hoping that a hawk will grab you & take you far away from me. I’m quite perplexed that am not in a mental hospital, let alone 6 feet under. The doctors promised me that the pain stops immediately after the baby is delivered but nooooooooo…….we’re here today & I’m still pulling my hair out. Somebody once said; “it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had a baby”…… that somebody doesn’t know that once you’re a mother, ‘normal’ is his

The Third Day- September...The Big 3-0!!!

So, today, I begin a new decade of my life. I am thirty (30) years old! W.O.W! These past couple of days, I have been meditating on Womanhood. Walking with God and Worthiness. I want to be part of something great this next decade. I desire a fresh start in many areas of my life. I regrettably spent the greater part of my twenties trying to be a man; to be tough, rough and seemingly brave. I numbed feelings, suppressed emotions and smiled little in bid to avoid fighting like a girl because girls are weak, they are shallow and they gossip. My best friends were boys until my femininity came to the fore as a  natural course of life and giving boys 'uncensored' hugs started 'causing problems'. All my ambition, my pushing and shoving to get ahead could not erase my innermost (very feminine) desires to be loved, to be treated kindly, to be listened to, sought after, and protected. I was with the boys but not of the boys. Revelation No. 1: I am a Woman and that's ok

Dad

Dear Dad, Today, nine years ago, you changed your major  area code leaving many people pretty upset including uncle Kizza Besigye who I know would have appreciated your level of loyalty  considering memories of my S.4 vacation driving around Kampala with you as you manually tallied the Reform Agenda's votes at different polling stations:) Just so you know, Uncle K.B. is hassling; what with pepper spray, kicks, blows, gun butt beatings, being shoved under the car seats of police men (who we are all quite convinced are paramilitary- but that's a story for another day), insults, threats to his life...etc...you would have frothed at the mouth seeing how bad things have become for political opponents of the 'Great 1986 Revolutionary'.  Am sorry for putting such a lousy pic of you on the www but you hated pics so it's kinda your fault :) I cut my hair and decided I would like to keep it that way for the rest of my life...in fact, I am contemplating going complete